Most hopscotch games require great physical skill, but in this North American version players use their brains more than their balance.
1. Players hop all the blocks of the hopscotch, stopping to name something from each category that begins with one letter of the alphabet— all A’s the first round for the first player, all B’s the second round for the second player, etc.
2. The categories below are just suggestions. Choose your own!
3. Players can decide in advance to either skip certain letters entirely, or to allow a player to skip one square per round.
4. Players can decide in advance how long a player can stand on one foot in each block before naming something from that category.
5. Players keep score on the sidewalk, one point for a player each time she successfully finishes a round.