The rectangles of this hopscotch represent the first eight grades of school.
Players take turns hopping through the school grades.
1. Each player must choose a marker (flat stone, bottle cap, etc.) As you read the rules below, it should be apparent what qualities make a good marker.
2. The first player tosses her marker into square number one.
3. The player then hops into that rectangle, bends down and picks up the marker, and hops through the rest of the rectangles in order.
4. In the second round, the player throws the marker into rectangle number two, hops from one to two, picks up the marker, and so on through all eight grades.
5. When a player steps on a line, or the marker touches a line, or the player touches down with both feet, or fails to throw her marker into the correct rectangle, she is out for that round. On her next turn, she can begin at that grade again.
6. After players complete all eight grades, they hop three more rounds, first hopping through the eight rectangles with the marker on a raised foot, then with the marker balanced on top of their heads, then blindfolded for the final round.